Fourth Year Curriculum
Clinical curriculum in the fourth year ensures students continue to develop and refine the core clinical skills and knowledge required of graduating osteopathic physicians as well as preparing them for residency training.
- Choose 5 Electives (18 weeks)
- Choose 2 Medical Selectives (8 weeks with at least one intensive)
- Choose 1 Surgical Selective (4 weeks)
- Emergency Medicine (4 weeks)
- Research and Scholarly Activity (4 weeks)
- Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine (integrated throughout fourth year rotations)
International Medical Outreach
Fourth year VCOM students have a unique educational opportunity to participate in a 4-week international outreach rotation at one of our core international sites in Honduras, El Salvador or the Dominican Republic.
Scheduling Fourth Year Rotations
VCOM core hospital training sites are designated community based hospitals and medical practices that have formal partnerships and educational programs with VCOM.
The majority of required rotations in the fourth year occur in the VCOM core clinical training sites. In keeping with the additional flexibility and opportunity to pursue personal interests during the fourth year, students may choose to do some of their clinical rotations outside of VCOM core clinical training sites. Students may request to participate in elective rotations outside a VCOM core site.
- For detailed information see, Scheduling Fourth Year Rotations