Requirements for Research Distinction degree designation:
- Students must have a VCOM faculty mentor.
- Students are required to assemble a committee that will need to meet at the beginning and end of the program.
- Students must take Conducting Research SDL course and complete required VCOM CITI training modules. Students must also complete any other project-specific required training.
- Students must work with mentors to obtain IRB or IACUC approval depending upon project scope
- Research proposal written with mentor must be submitted and reviewed by the oversite committee.
- Present at Research Day at any campus or other similar local, regional or national meeting.
- A peer-reviewed publication (or mini paper-modeled thesis).
- Begin any time after completion of Block 2, preferably before first summer break and use the break(s) for full time research activities. May also begin in 3rd or 4th year for rotation-related research.
The VCOM Research Division is here to help enable and facilitate your DO with Research Distinction experience:
- Helping students match to research mentors.
- Providing input by experienced researchers, including lectures and advice on conducting research, collaboration, publication ethics, paper writing.
- Monitoring progress of student/mentor team.