Applicants are required to review the following requirements for Admission.
Minimum Requirements for Admission
Students must complete courses in biology, physics, inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, English, and demonstrate the ability to master the subject matter of those courses. The student’s grade point average (GPA) in required courses weighs heavily in the admissions consideration. Applicants are required to take the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT). In addition to demonstrated knowledge, acceptance is also based on the interview process. The applicant’s ability to demonstrate a history of compassion, empathy, dedication and interest in patient care, an orientation to a rural or primary care medicine, and/or to research is considered in the admissions process. Other qualities that reflect the student’s ability to adapt to a rigorous academic environment and to a future as a professional provide an advantage in the application process.
Applicants for admission must meet the following requirements prior to matriculation.
1. Degree Requirements
Applicants must earn a baccalaureate degree prior to matriculation.
- Applicants must have completed 90 hours or three-fourths of the required credits for a degree in a college or university accredited by a regional accrediting body in order to be considered for an interview. In rare circumstances a degree from a national accreditor recognized by the Department of Education (i.e., a religiously based institution) may be considered by VCOM.
VCOM places emphasis on the science and required courses as well as the last 120 credit hours when choosing competitive applicants.
- Applicants should have achieved at least a 3.2 science and cumulative grade point average.
- The average GPA of accepted students was 3.5 to 3.6.
3. The required undergraduate courses for entry are:
- Biological Sciences: One year with laboratory (8 credit hours/12 quarter hours)
- Physics: (6 to 8 credit hours)
- General or Inorganic Chemistry: (6 to 8 credit hours)
- Organic Chemistry: (6 to 8 credit hours)
- English: (6 credit hours)
- A requirement for 6 additional biomedical science credit hours at the 300 level or above is required for matriculation. Faculty recommend courses in Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Immunology, Microbiology, Virology, or Genetics to enhance the student’s success in medical school.
- A “C” is the minimum needed for all required courses. However, a "B" or better is generally needed for acceptance.
Applicants must submit scores from the MCAT. VCOM will accept the April MCAT administration from up to four years prior to the date of matriculation. The MCAT is weighed in connection with GPA and other personal qualities we see in each applicant.
A competitive MCAT on the old scoring system is at or above 25, and a competitive MCAT on the new scoring system is at or above 500. Please note that VCOM considers both the numeric and percentile scores when assessing overall MCAT performance.
An applicant must be a U.S. Citizen, Permanent Resident or hold a Visa by which he/she may legally study in the United States.
- VCOM does not accept transfer students from international schools.
- VCOM accepts students who will require an F-1 Visa in rare circumstances only. Applicants who believe they will qualify for an F-1 Visa should contact the Assistant Vice President for Student Services on the respective campus for requirements at the time of application.
- VCOM does not anticipate accepting DACA Students.
6. Technical Standards for Admission and Continued Enrollment
All students must affirm that he or she meets the technical standards for admission. Any falsification or misinformation regarding the ability to meet technical standards is a reason for dismissal.
- See, Technical Standards for Admission in the College Catalog and Student Handbook
7. Accepting Admissions Offer
Students must submit all required paperwork and deposits per deadlines. If paperwork is not submitted as required, the offer of admission may be retracted.
8. Nurse Practitioners, Physician Assistants and Pharmacists
VCOM offers special consideration in reviewing courses. If content of these professional courses have course equivalency for the required courses (to meet the minimum requirement for admissions) a course equivalency review process will be performed by the Vice President for Student Services and the Dean. Advanced Standing in the DO program is not allowable; this is in regard to the minimum course requirement for admissions only. GPA and experience are also considered.
9. Foreign Coursework
Students who have taken coursework and/or earned a degree from a foreign institution must submit an evaluation of their transcripts to AACOMAS from World Education Service (WES), Silny and Associates, or another AACOMAS approved service.
10. Exception to Minimum Number of Hours and/or Regional Accreditation
- In rare circumstances a degree from a national accreditor recognized by the Department of Education (i.e., a religiously based institution) may be considered by VCOM. Contact the Office of Admissions in advance of applying.
- The only exception to the 90 hour requirement is where the college has a formal articulation agreement with VCOM for a combined studies program, and the candidate must receive a baccalaureate degree prior to matriculation and continue to do well in all the required courses until they matriculate.
Notice of Nondiscrimination
VCOM recognizes, values, and affirms that diversity contributes richness to the college and enhances the quality of education. Students, faculty, staff, and administrators are valued for their diversity. VCOM is committed to providing an academic and employment environment in which students and employees are treated with courtesy, respect, and dignity. It is the policy of VCOM that no student or employee shall be excluded from participating in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination in any program sponsored by VCOM.
VCOM’s commitment to the principles of non-discrimination includes and extends far beyond the federally protected classes of age, gender, sex, race, color, creed, national origin, religion, ancestry, marital status, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran. VCOM has a commitment to nondiscrimination against any individual or group of individuals. VCOM has zero tolerance to inappropriate behavior exhibited as an act of discrimination.
Background Checks and Illegal Behavior
A background check is mandatory prior to matriculation and will be required again during enrollment (typically between second and third year) and may be required at other intervals during enrollment.
- See, the Background Checks Policy in the College Catalog and Student Handbook
Affiliations with Colleges and Universities
VCOM has agreements with select colleges and universities for advanced admission and/or guaranteed interview. If your school has an agreement with VCOM, please contact your pre-health advisor or designated liaison at your institution to learn more. In some cases, the requirements for admission, as stated above, may be modified as part of these affiliated agreements.
- Drexel University
- Meredith College
- Alabama A & M University
- Alabama State University
- Anderson University
- Averett University
- Bluefield College
- Berry College
- Christopher Newport University
- Columbus State University
- Converse College
- Eastern Mennonite University
- Ferrum College
- Jefferson College of Health Sciences
- Hannibal-Lagrange University
- Harding University
- Hollins University
- Liberty University
- Louisiana Baptist College
- Lynchburg College
- Mary Baldwin College
- Maryville College
- Meredith College
- Miles College
- Mississippi College
- Norfolk State University
- North Dakota State University
- North Greenville University
- Old Dominion University
- Roanoke College
- SD School of Mines & Technology
- South Dakota State University
- Southern Wesleyan University
- University of Mobile
- University of South Carolina Upstate
- University of Virginia Wise
- Virginia Intermont College
- Virginia Military Institute
- Virginia Tech
- Wingate University
- VCOM has an admissions scholarship for eligible applicants enrolled at an HBCU institution. Please contact the Office of Admissions for more information.
- VCOM has an admissions scholarship for veterans. Please contact the Office of Admissions for more information.