Al Kozar, DO, FAOASM, RMSK
VCOM Sports & Osteopathic Medicine
Dr. Kozar is board certified in neuromusculoskeletal medicine (NMM-OMM), sports medicine and family medicine, and was conferred a Fellow of American Osteopathic Academy of Sports Medicine in 2009. He spends 60% of his time practicing neuromusculoskeletal medicine exclusively, with a 50-50 mix of sports medicine and acute and chronic pain management. In addition, he is a registered musculoskeletal sonographer.
In his academic role, he serves as VCOM’s Program Director for their NMM-OMM "Plus-One" Residency & Integrated NMM-OMM / Sports Medicine Residency, where he is also an Associate Professor, OMM & Sports Medicine and teaches in the PPC-OMM course for students.
Dr. Kozar’s interests lie in neuromuscular control of functional rehabilitative approaches, diagnostic and therapeutic uses of musculoskeletal ultrasound (MSK), and osteopathic manipulative treatment, as well as regenerative therapies. Dr. Kozar has frequently lectured nationally on these topics at the annual conferences of American Academy of Osteopathy (AAO), American Medical Society for Sports Medicine (AMSSM), American Osteopathic Academy Sports Medicine (AOASM), American Association of Orthopaedic Medicine (AAOM), and National Procedures Institute (NPI).
A teacher of MSK ultrasound with the group MSKUS.com since 2009, Dr. Kozar teaches diagnostic and cadaver injection ultrasound courses seven or eight times per year nationally and internationally. Prior to joining VCOM in fall 2015, he was in private practice since 2002 with Valley Sports Physicians in Avon, CT and was a Team Physician for The University of Hartford and area high schools.
|2002||The Toledo Hospital||Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship|
|1998||Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine||DO|
|1993||University of Notre Dame||
Awards and Honors
- American Osteopathic Academy in Sports Medicine, Fellowship Award, March 2009
- Doctors Hospital of Stark County, Service League for Community Health & Education Osteopathic Medical Education Scholarship Award, 1999, 2000, 2001
- Doctors Hospital of Stark County, Chief Intern, Internship Class of 1998-99
- OUCOM, Outstanding Student Physician Case Report Award for “Gulf War Syndrome: A Real Syndrome,” 1995
Current Professional Organizations
- Member, American Osteopathic Association
- Member, American Osteopathic Academy Sports Medicine
- Member, American Association of Orthopaedic Medicine
- Member, American Academy of Osteopathy
- Member, American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine
- Member, American Medical Society for Sports Medicine