Richard K. Orr, MD
Dr. Orr is a graduate of Vanderbilt University and the University of South Florida Medical School. After completing a medical internship and surgical residency at USF, he completed a fellowship in surgical oncology at the Medical College of Virginia.
He practiced surgical oncology as an assistant professor at the University of Miami for two years and then directed surgical oncology at the Fallon Clinic in Worcester, MA until 1997. During his time in Massachusetts, he returned to night school and earned an MPH (Biostatistics and Epidemiology). After a brief stint at the Marshfield (WI) Clinic, he was lured to Spartanburg (1999) to be an integral part of the developing Gibbs Regional Cancer Center. At the present time, he directs the cutaneous oncology section and is active in the endocrine and breast specialty sections as well.
Throughout his career, he has been active in resident and student education and has served on the faculty of six different medical schools. He became Chair of Surgery VCOM–Carolinas in 2014 and is AHEC Professor of Surgery at the Medical University of South Carolina. He was program director of the general surgery program at Spartanburg Regional Medical Center for 10 years and, previously, served as assistant program director for the surgical program at the University of Massachusetts. He remains committed to the excellence of our residency program.
His career interest has been mostly surgical oncology (especially breast, endocrine, and melanoma) but he continues to be part of the acute care/trauma team at Spartanburg Regional, as well.
Awards and Honors
- Spartanburg Regional Medical Center Surgical Residency, Teaching Award, 2016
- Spartanburg Regional Medical Center Surgical Residency, Research Presentation Annual Award named after Richard K. Orr, MD, MPH, 2012
- Spartanburg Regional Medical Center Surgical Residency, Special Recognition Award, 2010
- Spartanburg Regional Medical Center, Teaching Award, 2004
- University of Massachusetts Coordinated Surgical Residency Program, Teacher of the Year Award, 1996-1997
- Fallon Clinic, Researcher of the Year, 1991
Current Professional Organizations
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- Member, Society of Surgical Oncology
- Member, American Association of Endocrine Surgeons
- Member, American Society of Breast Surgeons
- Member, South Carolina Medical Association
- Member, President 2018, Spartanburg District Medical Society